Saturday, October 10, 2009

Glorious autumn colour in eastern Ontario

[Photo: where I grew up.]When I was growing up, autumn was my favourite season. The weather was good, not too hot and not too cold, and the forests surrounding our house erupted in glorious oranges, yellows, and reds. The photo to the left shows the land where I grew up, although the house I lived in has been replaced by the new owner.

[Photo: tree with yellow autumn foliage © Nicky Sztybel.]Since moving to Toronto over 20 years ago, I've found autumn disappointing. Our fall colours just don't seems as rich and varied as those in eastern Ontario. Obviously living in a city is not going to provide the same number of trees as living surrounded by forest, but in eastern Ontario even in the more built up areas the trees seem more vivid. (This tree was photographed on Church Street in Almonte.)

[Photo: trees on Wolf Grove Road.]My very favourites are these maples, don't know which species, which turn a gorgeous red-orange (these photos do not do the colours justice). [Photo: trees on Wolf Grove Road.]

[Photo: sprouting maple stump with exuberant fall colours © Nicky Sztybel.]My son discovered these gorgeous leaves on a sprouting maple stump, also on Church Street in Almonte. [Photo: trees beside marsh on Wolf Grove Road.]It seems to me that the best fall colours are by water.

[Photo: red maple leaf © Nicky Sztybel.]I think this was the first time I was home at the right time to see autumn leaves in 20 years! I'll have to make this a regular autumn pilgrimage.

2 comments:

  1. I was the perfect day to view Fall colours today. Wishing you and your family a happy and safe Thanksgiving weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yeah! Those are the colors I've been craving!

    and Happy Thanksgiving to all you Canadians!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin