Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What's blooming in High Park

On Sunday, I participated in a planting through the High Park Volunteer Stewardship Program. I took all kinds of lovely photos, which I accidentally permanently deleted when trying to fix serious problems I've been having with my computer. So you'll just have to click the links to see photos of the species we planted: Monarda fistulosa (wild bergamot), Rudbeckia hirta (black-eyed Susan), Elymus canadensis (Canada wild rye), Schizachyrium scoparium (little bluestem), and more.

At a nearby restoration site, native Penstemon hirsutis (hairy beard tongue) and non-native Hieracium praealtum (king devil) were in bloom, and elsewhere in the park, native Achillea millefolium (yarrow) was blooming.

Most beautiful of all, and I really regret losing these photos, were the native wild lupines (Lupinus perennis). I'll try to get out to High Park and take more photos before it's too late; I encourage you to get out there too if you can. There is a huge colony of wild lupines on the east side of West Road (map of High Park (PDF)).

1 comment:

  1. Rosemary, My heart goes out to you for the loss of your images, a photographer's nightmare, as I know from bitter experience. Good luck sorting out your computer, too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin