Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Can these Echinacea sprouts be saved?

[Photo: Echinacea purpurea sprouts.]On March 18, 2008, I put a bunch of Echinacea purpurea seeds in a plastic bag of damp potting mix to cold moist stratify in the fridge. They were supposed to be there for 6 to 8 weeks, but my fridge being what it is I didn't find them until August or September. By then they had sprouted, and they say that if they sprout while being stratified they should be planted immediately, but I didn't think I could put them outside so soon before winter so I just left them in the fridge.

Today, about 6 months later, the sprouts look much like they did back then. At least some of them look like they might still be alive! [Photo: Echinacea purpurea sprouts sown at last.]Here they are, sown at last. I just set up some fluorescent lights for starting seeds, so they will get a chance to grow a bit inside while we wait for the weather to warm up. If even one of these sprouts survives, it will still be a bargain price for Echinacea, since the whole packet of seeds (Gardener's Choice from Canadian Tire) was less than a buck!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I hope they make it. One cannot ever have too many echinacea in the garden, in my opinion. One of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin